A feature that will solve a huge problem for those who use more than one phone has finally been added to WhatsApp after thorough beta testing. They can now activate the same account on multiple devices and this works in the same manner that WhatsApp for Web does.
“Each linked phone connects to WhatsApp independently, ensuring that your personal messages, media, and calls are end-to-end encrypted, and if your primary device is inactive for a long period, we automatically log you out of all companion devices,” said a post on the WhatsApp blog.
This new feature gives you the option to have WhatsApp active on up to four additional devices, meaning the same account can be active on a maximum of five devices. Switching between phones can happen without signing out and you can pick up your chats where you left off.
This is also a big boon for WhatsApp Business accounts. In any small business, additional employees can now respond to customers directly from their own phones.
The way this feature can be activated is simple:
- On your secondary device, once WhatsApp is installed, tap on the menu in the top-right corner of the page that asks you to enter your phone number.
- Select ‘Link a device’ and wait for a QR code to appear.
- On your main phone, open WhatsApp and go to Settings.
- Go into the ‘Linked Devices’ section and tap on ‘Link a Device.’
- Once the camera is activated, scan the QR code on your secondary device and wait for WhatsApp to sync your messages.
WhatsApp has also announced a few more features that will be rolled out in the coming weeks. These include an alternative way to link to companion devices, which includes entering your phone number on WhatsApp Web to receive an OTP.